Advice for taking care of you Mental Health and Wellbeing
This information is designed to help people to adopt a healthier lifestyle through taking some simple steps. It includes why changes should be made and the support available to help achieve it. Here we are looking at Mental health and wellbeing.
Here are a few simple tips to help:
- Keep active - Exercise can lift your mood and be an outlet for stress, help you sleep, look and feel better. Walking, gardening and housework can keep you active.
- Eat well - Certain vitamins and minerals found in oily fish, fruit and vegetables and wholegrain foods can provide vital nutrition to help with common mental health problems
- Stay hydrated - Water is important for mental health – it may help to set an alarm to remind you to drink more water throughout the day. Alcohol dehydrates and is a depressant so drink in moderation
Talk about your feelings - Ask for help from friends, family or community group. It isn't a sign of weakness to talk about your feelings; it's part of taking charge of your wellbeing
Be creative - Read a book, listen to music, play a game, draw or paint
Take a break and relax - Learn relaxing breathing techniques or go for a walk. Give yourself space to think, rest and play
Connect with nature - Get as much sunlight and fresh air as you can as this can have huge benefits on your mood and reduce stress levels. This could be by spending time in your garden or opening your windows.
Find out more about mental health: www.mind.org.uk
For free useful resources and information visit: www.getselfhelp.co.uk
If you are worried about your own mental health or someone's you care about and it doesn't seem to be getting better please talk to your GP. For further help and support visit www.startaconversation.co.uk or contact the Samaritans on 116 123 or email@example.com
- Mental Health Matters offer support services in Hinckley and Bosworth. They normally offer a 12-week community based mental health support but at the present time are offering free telephone support. People can self-refer to this service on 0300 323 0189 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. There is also a 24/7 free helpline service for people to call if feeling they need to chat with someone on 0300 323 0187.
- MH4MH is a local community group based in Market Harborough. Mental Health 4 Market Harborough is an information & support group for anyone affected by bipolar or other serious mental health conditions. View their facebook page by clicking HERE
- Voluntary Action South Leicestershire (VASL) is a local charity providing services and projects to improve the lives of people in our community. These include support for family carers, young carers, older people who are lonely and isolated, providing volunteer transport to get people out and about, and activities and information to increase mental well-being. We are a volunteer-involving organisation and most of our work is delivered by trained volunteers. VASL's services cover the majority of SOuth Leicestershire.
Find out more about VASL by clicking HERE